Monday, July 6, 2009

The Finer Things in Life

Alright, so I under-estimated the difficulty of coming up with something to write about our family every day for one month. That is 31 postings in just 31 days! No, I'm not a math major, but even I could figure it out. Today, I'm going to write a list essay.

Back in Florida, I took a couple of graduate courses in Creative Writing (enough to convince me that I am not qualified to be a "creative" writer). One of our assignments in the Non-Fiction Creative Writing course was to write a list essay. I really enjoyed this assignment because it was super-easy for me. I picked my favorite subject (Josh) and since he was away from home I listed all of the things that would undoubtedly occur upon his return.

Now, right here, right now, I'm going to put my best effort into writing a list essay about all of the crazy, wonderful things I love about my newly anointed family.


The Finer Things in Life

The excitement and expression in Jess' voice as she reads Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed to Cooper.

Dani preparing to kill her sister.

When we wake up in the morning, there is no telling which child or children are already awake and what kind of havoc has already been going on for at least an hour.

Jessica calling her brother "honey" and Dani calling him "son."

The way Jess says the word "precious."

Make-your-own sundea nights

Coop laughing mid-way through a feeding when I am just about exhausted and spent to the point of tears.

Jess trying to kill her sister.

Dani's uninhibited trust for me and her ability to confide without fear.

Sitting around a fire on the deck and telling stories.

Danielle's constant pestering to play on the computer, watch T.V., or hold and feed Cooper.

Waking them up from a nap. Any one of the three. In the words of Jess, "it's precious."

Placing a pile of towels by the door and taking the girls for a walk in the rain.

The pride the girls have in all things family.




No comments:

Post a Comment